Health Tip: Watch for Choking Hazards
-- Once your baby starts eating solid food, it's important to avoid offering the child possible choking hazards.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says potentially dangerous foods for young children include:
- Peanuts or popcorn.
- Whole grapes (instead, cut them into small pieces.)
- Meat that is stringy and uncut.
- Chunks of hot dogs.
- Vegetables and fruits that are hard and raw, such as apples, green beans or carrots.
- Chunky pieces of food that are difficult to chew.
- Foods that are sticky, including peanut butter.
Posted: March 2012