Health Tip: Warm Up Before Exercise
-- Warming up should be part of every exercise program, as it prepares your body for more intense activity.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers this additional information about warming up before a workout:
- Warming up your muscles allows body temperature to rise, blood to flow, and breathing to increase.
- Warming up can help you to get a more effective workout.
- If you are just starting to exercise, you should spend more time warming up than someone who exercises regularly.
- Stretching is a good way to slowly warm up muscles.
- A light aerobic warm-up at a relaxed pace is a safe way to start your workout.
Posted: April 2008