Health Tip: Want to Be a Babysitter?
-- If you've got your eye on becoming a babysitter, make sure you know how to keep your charges safe.
The University of Michigan Health System offers this advice:
- Take classes in babysitting, first aid and CPR. Understand the basics of sleep safety for babies, such as the need to have them sleep on the back.
- Bring a list of questions and information you will need from the parents. Make sure you have everything you need before the parents leave.
- Learn how to help prevent choking. But do not give children food or medication unless instructed to do so by the parents.
- Check on children about every 15 minutes while they're sleeping.
- Make sure all outside doors and windows are locked.
- Do not allow anyone in the home, and call police if you suspect danger.
- Never leave a child alone in the bathtub for even a moment.
- Make sure you are prepared in the event of an emergency, such as a fire.
Posted: January 2014