Health Tip: Visit Your Local Farmer's Market
--If you want to eat more fruits and vegetables, head to your local farmer's market.
Here's how it can boost your nutritional intake, courtesy of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
- You'll find some of your favorite summer fare, but also new fruits and vegetables grown locally to try.
- Talking to the farmer can encourage you to try new things and you can get tips on how to best cook and enjoy the food.
- Check websites to find out what's in season in your area right now for the freshest and most delicious produce.
- Go early if you want the prettiest produce. If you want a deal (and are willing to risk them running out) try shopping closer to closing time.
- Remember to pay attention to the vendors' food safety practices, making sure that perishable foods are in coolers on ice.
- Asking the farmer about how it's grown can ensure that you're eating organically grown produce.
Posted: September 2016
Recommended for you