Health Tip: Using a Home Trampoline
-- Home trampolines may be a fun way to get exercise, but they're not without dangers, the American Academy of Pediatrics says.
Despite the academy's warnings that home trampolines could lead to injuries from falls and attempted acrobatics, the group notes the devices continue to sell.
The academy says it supports recent efforts to get manufacturers to add padding to the frame and springs, and to improve the quality of padding that's already being used.
If you do own a home trampoline, the academy suggests:
- Homeowners should check to see if their insurance policies cover trampoline-related claims.
- Restrict trampoline use to a single jumper at a time.
- Make sure you have adequate protective padding that's in good condition and is placed in the right spots.
- Use the trampoline on level ground and away from any hazards.
- Discontinue use of the trampoline if it is worn or damaged and replacement parts aren't available.
- Discourage attempts at somersaults or flips.
- No child should use the trampoline without adult supervision.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: July 2018
Read this next
THURSDAY, Oct. 22, 2020 -- People who use common asthma controller medications are vulnerable to developing brittle bones and suffering fractures, a new study shows. The findings...
FRIDAY, Oct. 2, 2020 -- They are the closest relatives to humans, but gorillas have been spared one aging disease that people haven't: osteoporosis. The condition triggers...
THURSDAY, Oct. 1, 2020 -- Preventing falls in older age could be as fun as dancing them away, new research shows. Researchers found a 31% reduction in falls and a 37% reduction...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.