Health Tip: When Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms Flare
-- Ulcerative colitis is a type of inflammatory bowel disease that can cause diarrhea and inflammation of the large intestine. When it flares, making changes to your diet may help ease symptoms.
The University of California, San Francisco offers these suggestions:
- Eat foods that are meant to produce smaller and fewer bowel movements (a low-residue diet). Foods to avoid while symptoms flare include fresh produce, prunes and caffeinated drinks.
- Cut back on foods and drinks high in concentrated sugar, including soda, candy and juice.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Eat omega-3 fatty acid-rich foods, such as salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines and other fatty fish, which have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Eat small, frequent meals throughout the day. Take a nutritional supplement if needed.
Posted: April 2013
Recommended for you