Health Tip: Treating Cradle Cap
-- Red, scaly skin on a new baby's scalp could be seborrheic dermatitis, also called cradle cap.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests how to help clear baby's flaky scalp:
- Wash baby's hair with a mild shampoo, and gently scrub the scalp.
- If your pediatrician says it's OK, use a medicated shampoo.
- Use a soft brush to gently brush baby's hair and remove scales from the scalp.
- Apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly to the head. Avoid baby oil, which isn't effective for this purpose.
- Use 1 percent hydrocortisone cream on baby's scalp, if your pediatrician recommends it.
- Shampoo regularly to help prevent cradle cap from coming back.
Posted: July 2010
Recommended for you