Health Tip: Treating a Black Eye
-- Black eyes are common among kids who play sports. Most cases can be treated with self-care at home.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology suggests how to safely treat a black eye:
- Use an ice pack for 20 minutes at a time, once every hour, to reduce swelling and ease pain.
- Use a bag of frozen vegetables or ice cubes wrapped in cloth if an ice pack is not available.
- Do not use raw meat on a black eye. The bacteria on raw meat raises the risk of infection.
- Avoid contact sports until the injury gets better.
- If swelling and pain don't improve in a few days, see your doctor.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: May 2018