Health Tip: Treat a Toddler to a Picnic
-- If your child balks at sitting at the table, why not take it on the road? Treating your toddler to a picnic can encourage healthier eating and outdoor activity.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions:
- Don't worry about planning a long car trip -- a picnic in the backyard, or the living room floor (during bad weather) will do fine.
- Cut sandwiches into fun shapes, or decorate them with a face from fruits or veggies.
- Make a meal out of an array of fresh fruits and veggies, and serve them with some dip.
- Offer plenty of fluids, but stick to cold water with a few slices of fruit in it to add flavor without sugar and empty calories.
- If you are driving to your picnic, make sure all perishables are packed in a cooler.
- Plan lots of fun activities to keep your child happy, laughing and moving. Schedule a game of duck-duck-goose, tag or kickball well after lunch.
Posted: September 2012
Recommended for you