Health Tip: Teach Your Kids Tolerance
-- As the world becomes more diverse, parents should teach their children how to be open and respect the differences between people, the Nemours Foundation says.
It offers these suggestions:
- Demonstrate your own respect for others.
- Kids are always listening, so be conscious of the way you talk about people who are different from you.
- Talk about unfair stereotypes that may be portrayed in media.
- Respond to your kids' questions about differences honestly and respectfully.
- Respect differences within your own family. Demonstrate acceptance of your children's differing abilities, interests and styles. Value the uniqueness of each family member.
- Tolerance does not mean allowing unacceptable behavior. It means that everyone deserves to be treated with respect and should treat others similarly.
- Build your child's self-esteem by making the child feel accepted, respected and valued. Children who feel badly about themselves may treat others badly.
- Learn together about celebrations that are not part of your own tradition.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: October 2018