Health Tip: Teach Your Family Fire Safety
-- Time is of the essence if there's a fire in your home. Make sure your family is ready to act fast in an emergency.
Here's what the American Red Cross suggests:
- Buy an appropriate number of smoke alarms, and test them monthly.
- Make sure children know what smoke alarms sound like, and what to do if they hear the sound. Everyone in your home should know how to call 911 and to "stop, drop and roll" if clothing catches fire.
- Create a fire escape plan with two ways to escape from every room. Make sure every family member knows the plan.
- Designate an outdoor meeting spot for the family.
- Hold a fire drill twice yearly.
Posted: November 2016