Health Tip: Teach Your Child to Read Food Labels
-- Teaching a child to make healthy food choices empowers the child to lead a healthier lifestyle when he or she is grown.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these tips about children and food labels:
- Before choosing a snack, encourage your child to check its label for calories and fat.
- Have your child measure what he or she considers an appropriate serving size, then show the actual serving size.
- Pre-portion your child's snack to the label's serving size.
- In a supermarket, send your child to find healthy groceries by scanning nutrition labels.
- Have your child pack his or her own lunch, keeping it under 600 calories.
- Offer your child praise when the child reads food labels.
Posted: August 2014