Health Tip: Teach Kids Bike Safety Rules
-- Just as important as teaching a youngster how to peddle a bicycle is to make sure the child knows the rules of the road.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests these bike-safety guidelines for children:
- Establish rules on where a child is allowed to ride, and where else is off-limits. Rules should be based on the child's age, maturity and ability to follow basic rules of the road.
- Mandatory rules should include riding with traffic, always stopping at intersections, using hand signals and looking carefully before turning.
- Every time children ride, they should wear government-approved bike helmets that fit properly.
- Children who don't follow the rules should have bike privileges revoked.
- Don't allow kids to ride at dusk or dark.
- Parents must regularly inspect bikes for wear, making repairs as needed.
Posted: June 2014
Recommended for you