Health Tip: Taming Your Toddler's Aggression
-- Children can't follow your rules unless you're clear and consistent in enforcing them. Aggressive behavior is no exception.
Here are suggestions to help soothe an angry toddler, courtesy of the American Academy of Pediatrics:
- Provide a home life that is secure and stable with loving but firm discipline.
- Offer positive reinforcement all the time, not just when your child is misbehaving.
- Change your child's focus with a distraction when the child begins to get out of control.
- Supervise your child during disagreements with playmates, but try to let children work out conflicts without intervention. Step in if children become aggressive.
- Teach your child appropriate ways for dealing with conflict, such as firmly saying no. Use time-outs as needed.
- Set a good example by controlling your own temper.
Posted: July 2016
Recommended for you