Health Tip: Taming a Toddler's Tantrum
-- Tantrums are a common part of toddlerhood, but parents can take steps to head them off.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions to help avoid temper tantrums:
- Give your child praise and attention for good behavior.
- Let your child have control over some decisions, such as choosing the fruit to have with lunch.
- To avoid frustration, encourage your child only to play with age-appropriate toys.
- Don't automatically say no when your child asks for something; pick what's really important to deny, and say yes when you can.
- Don't push your child beyond his or her limits, especially when the child is tired.
Posted: September 2010
Recommended for you