Health Tip: Talking to Your Children About Divorce
-- When parents divorce, it's important to continue open, honest communication with the children. Parents should also maintain daily routines as much as possible, while offering extra affection and support.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests what to offer a child during a parental divorce:
- Keep communication clear and simple. Avoid promoting the idea that the divorce is the child's fault, or that the child can help resolve the situation.
- Reassure the child that he or she will be safe.
- Mention that mommy and daddy will both be happier.
- Reinforce that there will be two homes in which the child will be loved.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: January 2018
Read this next
THURSDAY, Oct. 29, 2020 -- You might be onto something if you suspect your mental and physical health declined during the COVID-19 lockdown earlier this year. Stay-at-home orders...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 28, 2020 -- If you're the parent of a teen, you had plenty to deal with before the pandemic began -- dramatic sighs, slamming doors, eye-rolling -- and that was...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 28, 2020 (Healthday News) -- Nearly 7 in 10 Americans are very anxious about the effect of climate change on the planet and more than half worry about its impact...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.