Health Tip: Suggestions for Better Sleep
-- If you're struggling to get a good night's sleep, your sleep environment and bedtime habits may need changing.
The National Sleep Foundation offers these suggestions that may help you sleep better:
- Go to bed and try to wake at the same time each day.
- Prepare for bed with a relaxing routine, such as taking a bath or reading.
- Make sure your bedroom is quiet and dark.
- Use a firm but comfortable mattress, and lots of plush pillows.
- Never perform work-related duties in your bedroom.
- Don't eat for at least two hours before you go to bed.
- Exercise each day, but never just before bedtime.
- Skip caffeine, alcohol and nicotine in the hours before bedtime.
Posted: April 2009