Health Tip: Store Refrigerated Food Safely
-- Refrigeration can help keep food safe from germs and prevent food-borne illnesses.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration suggests these refrigeration tips:
- Marinate food in the refrigerator instead of at room temperature. Bacteria can multiply rapidly at room temperature.
- Never reuse marinating liquid unless you bring it to a rapid boil first to kill any germs.
- Clean the refrigerator often and wipe spills immediately to reduce the growth of bacteria.
- Prevent drips from thawing meat that can allow germs from one food to spread to another.
- Cover foods in the refrigerator.
- Check leftovers daily for spoilage.
- Store eggs in the carton in the refrigerator itself rather than on the door, where the temperature is warmer.
- Always check expiration dates.
- If food looks at all questionable or is past its expiration date, throw it out.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: January 2019