Health Tip: Store Breast Milk Safely
-- Breast milk must be pumped and stored properly to be safe for your baby.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions for handling and storing breast milk:
- Wash your hands before expressing breast milk, making sure all pump parts are properly cleaned and milk is stored in clean bottles.
- Always refrigerate breast milk and use within four days. Or freeze the milk for later use.
- Put dates on stored breast milk and use the oldest first. Store in 2 oz. to 4 oz. servings.
- Throw away any milk left in the bottle after a feeding.
- Never thaw breast milk in a microwave; thaw on a stovetop, under running water or in the refrigerator.
- Don't refreeze breast milk. Use within 24 hours of thawing.
Posted: December 2012
Recommended for you