Health Tip: Soothing Separation Anxiety
-- Many young children have difficulty leaving their parents when it's time for school, work or a parental date night.
Rotary International offers this advice on how to make separating from your child less stressful for you both:
- Don't put off separating from your child, such as leaving the youngster with a sitter. The younger your child is when he or she gets used to separating, the easier the transition is likely to be.
- Start separating from your child slowly and gradually to build up tolerance.
- Make sure your child is well-rested and fed when transitioning to a caregiver.
- When you can, keep your child in a familiar environment.
- Devise a consistent ritual for separating from your child.
- Use the same caregiver, if possible, and introduce your child in advance.
- Stay calm and relaxed, and don't drag out the goodbye. Make it clear that you'll be back.
Posted: June 2009
Recommended for you