Health Tip: Be Smart During a Power Outage
-- Power outages can be dangerous if you don't follow safety precautions.
The Red Cross suggests:
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Food generally will last inside these unpowered appliances for four hours.
- Unplug electronics and other electrical equipment. This will protect the equipment against electrical surges when power returns.
- Keep one light plugged in and turned on so you can see when power is restored.
- Avoid travel, particularly by car, since traffic lights may not be working.
- If you use a generator, make sure you carefully follow the product's instructions. Never run a generator inside the home.
Posted: July 2016