Health Tip: Skin Care for Diabetics
-- Skin problems are common in people with diabetes.
The American Diabetes Association offers these suggestions to help diabetics keep their skin in good health:
- Always keep your skin clean and dry, and apply talcum powder in areas in contact with other skin.
- Don't take baths or showers with very hot water, and don't take bubble baths if you have dry skin.
- Use mild shampoos, and moisturizing soaps and body lotions. Don't apply lotions between the toes, as this may encourage fungus to grow.
- Treat any cuts or abrasions promptly to prevent infection. Talk to your doctor about the best antiseptic solutions to use.
- During the cold winter months, keep your home more humid, keep your skin well-moisturized, and try to bathe less frequently.
- Check your feet regularly for problems.
Posted: September 2008