Health Tip: Signs You Need Rotator Cuff Surgery
-- The rotator cuff is a collection of tendons and muscles that surround the shoulder. It's common for athletes -- for example, baseball pitchers -- to injure this area.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons mentions symptoms that indicate surgery is needed:
- Pain does not improve when treated with ice, heat or pain-relieving medication.
- Symptoms have lasted at least six months.
- You have significant weakness and loss of function in your shoulder.
- Your tear was caused by a recent injury that occurred suddenly during activity.
- You have a large tear of more than 3 cm.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: February 2018
Read this next
FRIDAY, Sept. 18, 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic has shown a spotlight on disparities in the U.S. health care system. But the issues are longstanding, and -- as one large study...
WEDNESDAY, June 24, 2020 -- With opioid addiction soaring in the United States, it should come as good news that an opioid painkiller may not be needed after a sports-injury...
THURSDAY, June 18, 2020 -- There's been a significant drop in diabetes-related lower leg amputations among non-white patients in states that expanded Medicaid under Obamacare, a...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.