Health Tip: Shovel Snow Safely
-- Snow shoveling is a factor in thousands of injuries and as many as 100 deaths in the United States each year.
The National Safety Council suggests how to shovel safely:
- Do not shovel after eating or while smoking.
- Take it slow and stretch out before you begin.
- Shovel only fresh, powdery snow; it's lighter
- Push the snow, rather than lifting it.
- If you do lift snow, use a small shovel or only partially fill the shovel.
- Lift with your legs, not your back.
- Do not work to the point of exhaustion.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: February 2018
Read this next
FRIDAY, Oct. 16, 2020 -- If you're pregnant and you think popping nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for your aches and pains is safe, think again. The U.S. Food and...
MONDAY, Oct. 5, 2020 -- For people with back pain caused by sciatica, it might be a good idea to start physical therapy sooner rather than later, a new clinical trial...
MONDAY, Sept. 21, 2020 -- Middle-aged Americans are living with more physical pain than older adults are -- and the problem is concentrated among the less-educated, a new study...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.