Health Tip: Set Rules About TV Time
-- Experts warn against children watching too much TV, saying developing kids could be doing something more healthy and productive.
The University of Michigan Health System offers this advice about your child's TV watching:
- Establish clear rules about when children are allowed to watch TV. For example, no TV during dinner or homework time.
- Allow a maximum two hours of daily TV time, or one hour per school night and two to three hours on weekends. Consider exceptions for educational viewing.
- Cut back on your child's TV time if he or she is doing poorly in school.
- Require that all homework and chores be done before your child can watch TV.
- Instead of TV, promote activities such as conversation, reading, exercise or special projects.
Posted: August 2014
Recommended for you