Health Tip: Set an Exercise Schedule
-- Adhering to an exercise routine can be a challenge, but creating a schedule can help you stay on track.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests how to create a workout schedule:
- Create a weekly schedule that includes time off.
- Start out by scheduling moderate-intensity exercise of about 30 minutes per session, including a variety of activities from walking to gardening.
- Consider scheduling shorter intervals at first, such as by allocating two 15-minute workouts per day instead of one 30-minute block.
- Avoid skipping a workout in the beginning if you feel sore, unless you feel severe pain or notice any swelling.
- Schedule workouts in the time of day that's most comfortable. Avoid exercising just after a meal or outdoors when it's too hot or too cold.
- Wear comfortable, supportive shoes that fit well.
Posted: January 2012
Recommended for you