Health Tip: Select the Right Cancer Team
-- If you've been diagnosed with cancer, choosing the medical team that will treat you is a hugely important decision.
The American Cancer Society offers these suggestions:
- Ask the doctor who diagnoses you where he or she would recommend going for treatment.
- Consult with family and friends who have had cancer to see what they'd suggest.
- Identify a cancer center that has a history of treating your type of cancer. A larger facility will have more varied experience.
- Consult online resources, such as the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer, the U.S. National Cancer Institute and the Children's Oncology Group.
- Select a doctor who has experience treating your type of cancer and participates in your health insurance plan.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: January 2018
Read this next
MONDAY, Oct. 19, 2020 -- Early diagnosis of colon cancer is crucial to improve a patient's chance of survival, an expert says. Colon cancer is on the rise, especially among...
FRIDAY, Oct. 16, 2020 -- Many Americans who get recommended colon cancer screening may end up with "surprise" medical bills, a new study suggests. Looking at insurance claims for...
THURSDAY, Oct. 15, 2020 -- Breast cancer in men is rare. But because it's not often suspected in men, diagnosis often comes only after a tumor has begun to spread throughout the...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.