Health Tip: Safely Remove a Splinter
-- When a thin piece of wood, glass or metal gets embedded within the top layers of your skin, you know how annoying and painful a splinter can be.
The U.S. Library of Medicine suggests how to remove a splinter safely:
- Sterilize a pin or needle by soaking it in rubbing alcohol or by placing the tip in a flame.
- Wash your hands with soap.
- Use the pin or needle to gently remove skin over the splinter.
- Then use the tip of the pin to lift the end of the splinter out.
- You may need to use tweezers to pull out the splinter after you lift it.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: January 2019
Read this next
THURSDAY, June 25, 2020 -- Two new studies strongly suggest that the so-called "COVID toe" lesions that have popped up among some Americans during the pandemic may not be caused...
SATURDAY, Sept. 14, 2019 -- Don't let foot problems hobble your autumn activities, a foot surgeon says. "Foot health contributes to your overall health. From beginners to...
THURSDAY, Aug. 8, 2019 -- If you've made a financial commitment to athletic shoes, no doubt you want your money's worth. But it's important to replace them when you see specific...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.