Health Tip: Take Medications Safely
-- Many medications may seem harmless, but they can still cause harm if not taken correctly.
The University of Virginia Health System offers these suggestions to help prevent problems with medications:
- Understand that even vitamins, herbs, supplements and over-the-counter medications can have adverse effects if taken incorrectly.
- Always follow label instructions, paying particular attention to any warnings.
- Learn how other medications and foods may interact with a particular medicine.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions of your doctor or pharmacist if your prescription changes or if you take a new medicine.
- Learn about any potential side effects of medications you take, and always call your doctor if you have any problems.
- Keep medications stored safely, and keep a record of all medications you take.
- Make sure all of your doctors have a complete list of your medications.
Posted: September 2009
Recommended for you