Health Tip: Stay Safe on the Stairs
- It's relatively easy for seniors to slip on stairs and hurt themselves, so it's important to take precautions to prevent falls.
Here are some suggestions, courtesy of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
- Install light switches at both the top and bottom of stairs, or add motion-sensitive lights to the area.
- Make sure the entire stairway is well lit, and keep a flashlight in a drawer nearby.
- Put up a handrail on each side of the stairs.
- Keep stairs free of clutter and objects.
- For wood stairs, add a non-slip surface. For carpeted stairs, avoid dark or very thick carpeting that may be difficult to see.
- Keep boards or carpeting on stairs in good shape and tightly secured.
Posted: January 2008
Recommended for you