Health Tip: Be Safe During a Pedicure
-- Before you treat your toes to a pedicure, make sure you're not introducing them to the possibility of infection or injury.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests tips for preventing problems during a pedicure:
- Check with your podiatrist if you have diabetes or circulation problems to see which type of pedicure is best for you.
- Schedule your pedicure first thing in the morning when the foot baths are cleanest, or make sure they are cleaned between each customer.
- Buy your own set of pedicure tools to take to the salon.
- If you use the salon's tools, make sure they are properly sterilized.
- Smooth feet with a pumice stone after soaking in warm water, and remember to always trim your nails straight across.
- Carefully moisturize feet.
- Push back cuticles, rather than cutting them.
Posted: July 2012
Recommended for you