Health Tip: At Risk for Gingivitis
-- Gingivitis is a disease of the mouth that can damage the gums, ligaments and sockets that surround the teeth.
According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, people with these risk factors should be extra careful about preventing gingivitis:
- People with poor dental health or dental hygiene practices.
- Pregnant women, as certain hormonal changes can increase gum sensitivity.
- Diabetics who can't manage or control their disease.
- People with teeth that are poorly aligned, or with braces or fillings with rough edges.
- People taking certain medications, including birth control pills and phenytoin.
Posted: February 2009
Recommended for you