Health Tip: Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
-- People with type 2 diabetes either don't produce enough insulin, or their bodies don't process insulin correctly. More than 90 percent of people with diabetes have type 2, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says.
Here's the academy's list of risk factors for type 2 diabetes:
- Being overweight.
- Being age 45 or older.
- Sharing lifestyle habits with a person who has type 2 diabetes.
- Being Hispanic, Native American, Latino or black.
- Living a sedentary lifestyle without regular exercise.
- Having high blood pressure, high cholesterol or high triglycerides.
- Having had gestational diabetes.
- Having had a baby who weighed 9 pounds or more at birth.
Posted: December 2012
Recommended for you