Health Tip: Reducing Your Risk of Stress Fractures
-- Stress fractures often occur as a result of overuse, and they frequently affect the feet.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests these precautions to help reduce the risk of stress fractures:
- Eat a healthy diet rich in vitamin D and calcium.
- Always wear appropriate athletic equipment, such as supportive running shoes.
- Alternate activities to ease strain on the bones, such as switching between swimming and cycling.
- Start slow when it comes to new activities, gradually increasing intensity and duration.
- Practice strength training for strong muscles and bones.
- Rest any time you have swelling or feel pain.
Posted: April 2014
Recommended for you