Health Tip: Reduce Your Risk of Hip Fracture
-- Hip fractures are serious injuries, especially in seniors. Falls are a prime cause.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers this advice on reducing your risk:
- Keep your home clear of clutter, making sure it is well lit. Install grab bars in bathrooms.
- Get regular exercise to strengthen bones and muscles, and improve balance.
- Each year, get an eye exam and a complete physical.
- Discuss all medications with your doctor, as some drugs can have side effects.
- Know your risk factors for bone loss and fractures.
- Eat a healthy diet rich in vitamin D and calcium. If needed, talk to your doctor about medication to improve bone health.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
© 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: December 2016