Health Tip: Reduce Your Risk of a Crash
-- Knowing the rules of the road -- and being aware of what's going on around you -- can go a long way in preventing car accidents.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions:
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Don't look directly into the illuminated headlights of another car. Keep an eye on the yellow line in the road instead, until the car has passed.
- Be constantly aware of potential hazards, including potholes, construction equipment, or stopped cars.
- Pay careful attention to your car and those around you, especially while driving in bad weather.
- Be careful driving on the highway, and look out for other drivers that quickly change lanes to exit the road.
- Don't get emotional about other people's driving habits.
- Never drive while tired.
Posted: June 2008
Recommended for you