Health Tip: Recognize Early Signs of Autism
-- Autism may be detected at an early age by paying attention to your baby's social and language skills, the American Academy of Pediatrics says.
But all children who have autism or autism spectrum disorder (ASD) will not have the same symptoms or severity, the academy notes.
Still, the academy says parents should monitor for these possible warning signs:
- A child at 12 months with autism or ASDmay not turn to look after her name is called several times.
- A child at 18 months with delayed speech skillsmay point, gesture or use facial expressions to compensate for speech delays.
- A child at 18 months may limit speech to repeating what is heard on TV or to what was just said.
- A child at 24 months might not make eye contact or appear to share in the pleasure of playing together.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: April 2018
Read this next
THURSDAY, Oct. 22, 2020 -- Kids with autism or attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) go to the hospital more in their first year of life than children without these...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 14, 2020 -- Autism may involve nerves that control touch, pain and other sensations as well as the brain, a new study suggests. "More than 70% of people with...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 14, 2020 -- Virtual training is effective in teaching parents of children with autism about early behavioral intervention, according to a new study. The...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.