Health Tip: Protect Your Feet From Fungus
-- Your feet, particularly your toenails and in between the toes, are prone to fungal infection, often referred to as athlete's foot. This can lead to itchy toes and thick, brittle and discolored nails.
The American Podiatric Medical Association says you can help prevent fungal infections of the feet by:
- Carefully and frequently washing the feet, making sure to thoroughly dry them.
- If walking in public showers or locker rooms, wearing flip flops or shower shoes.
- Changing pantyhose, shoes and socks more than once daily.
- Cutting toenails in a straight line, short enough that the nail doesn't grow beyond the toe.
- Making sure that shoes and hosiery aren't too tight.
- Wearing socks of synthetic material and shoes of breathable material.
- Disinfecting any nail clippers and pedicure tools after use. Also, avoid polishing toenails that appear to have a fungal infection.
Posted: November 2012
Recommended for you