Health Tip: Protect Your Child in Extreme Heat
-- Extreme heat can make people sick, especially children. That's why parents should be prepared to get overheated kids out of the hot sun and into an air-conditioned building.
The American Academy of Pediatricians offers this advice:
- If your home isn't air conditioned, visit a pubic building such as a library.
- Encourage your child to drink plenty of fluids all day long. Offer a drink before your child asks for one.
- Allow more naps and rest time than usual, as heat can make children feel tired.
- Have your child take a cool bath.
- Don't ever leave your child inside a hot car.
Posted: August 2012
Recommended for you