Health Tip: Protect Your Child From Burns
-- Children can suffer severe burns from common items around the house, so it's important to take precautions to prevent accidents.
Here are a few suggestions, courtesy of the National Safety Council:
- Always test bathwater before allowing a child in the bath. Set the thermostat on your water heater at no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Don't let children take baths in a hot tub, Jacuzzi or whirlpool tub.
- Keep matches out of a child's reach, and teach children that they are never to play with matches or lighters.
- Never put down a lit cigarette near a child.
- While holding your child, never hold a hot drink or cigarette.
- Monitor children carefully around radiators, space heaters, stoves, ovens and fireplaces. Teach children that they are never to touch these things.
Posted: June 2008
Recommended for you