Health Tip: Preventing the Spread of Norovirus
-- Norovirus is commonly spread among people in tight-knit surroundings, such as college dorms and cruise ships. Infected people may complain of stomachache, nausea and vomiting.
The Foodsafety.gov website suggests how to help prevent the spread of norovirus:
- Always wash hands after using the bathroom and before preparing food. Wash with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds.
- Restaurant or deli workers should not touch food with bare hands.
- Clean any potentially contaminated surfaces with a bleach-based cleaner. Make sure all food preparation surfaces and utensils are thoroughly disinfected.
- Never serve, prepare or cook food if you have had diarrhea or been vomiting.
- All shellfish should be thoroughly cooked before eating. All fruits and vegetables should be washed.
- Promptly machine-wash and dry any linens or clothing exposed to vomiting or diarrhea.
Posted: June 2014