Health Tip: Preventing Back Injury
- Lifting objects -- sometimes even light ones -- is a common cause of back strain and injury.
To help prevent injury when lifting things, follow these techniques suggested by the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
- Don't try to lift or move heavy objects in a hurry. Take your time and plan what you need to do.
- Bend at the knees right in front of the object. Don't stand too far from it.
- Make sure your feet are positioned shoulder-width apart.
- With your stomach muscles tightened, lift with your leg muscles instead of with your back as you stand up.
- If the object seems too heavy, ask for help.
Posted: January 2008
Recommended for you