Health Tip: Prevent Yoga-Related Injury
-- Practicing yoga can bolster your overall fitness while improving posture and flexibility, the U.S. National Library of Medicine says.
While the agency notes yoga is safe for most people, those who are pregnant or have high blood pressure, glaucoma or sciatica may be at greater risk of injury.
The NLM suggests:
- Talk with a doctor before starting yoga. Ask if there are poses you should avoid.
- Start slowly and learn the basics.
- Choose a class that is appropriate for your level.
- Do not force yourself into a pose that makes you uncomfortable.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Wear clothing that allows you to move freely.
- Listen to your body. If you feel pain or fatigue, stop and rest.
Posted: September 2018