Health Tip: Prevent Skin Problems at the Gym
-- Germs may thrive at the gym, creating a perfect breeding ground for skin infections.
Bacteria, viruses and fungi thrive in warm and moist places, such as the locker room or sweaty gym equipment, the American Academy of Dermatology says.
The academy mentions these preventive tips:
- Wear loose-fitting, moisture-wicking clothing.
- Always wear shoes around the locker room and pools. Keep flip flops in your gym bag to use in a public shower.
- Keep any cuts clean and covered.
- Disinfect equipment before and after using it.
- Wash hands just after working out.
- Shower soon after exercising, and dress in clean clothes.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: January 2019
Read this next
THURSDAY, Oct. 29, 2020 -- People have to be told to keep their distance when they're sick, but vampire bats do it naturally, a new study finds. As a disease spreads through a...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 21, 2020 -- Proper skin care is crucial for cancer patients receiving radiation therapy, the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) says. Itchiness, redness,...
MONDAY, Oct. 19, 2020 -- A coronavirus strain that has plagued the swine industry in recent years may have the ability to spread to people, researchers say. Swine acute diarrhea...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.