Health Tip: Prevent Respiratory Infections
-- Our lungs have a natural defense system that protects them from dirt and germs. But that isn't enough to prevent all cases of lung disease.
The American Lung Association says here's what you can do to keep your lungs healthier:
- Don't smoke. If you do, quit.
- Avoid air pollution. On smoggy days, stay inside.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. An alcohol-based sanitizer may be used in a pinch.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth at least twice daily and see your dentist at least every six months.
- Get the annual flu shot, and ask you doctor about whether the pneumoniavaccine is right for you.
- If you get sick, stay home from work or school until you're feeling better.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: November 2017
Read this next
FRIDAY, Oct. 23, 2020 -- A cough could spread a cloud of COVID-19 throughout a room, but a face mask can greatly shrink the size and spread of that cloud, a new study finds. In...
THURSDAY, Oct. 22, 2020 -- "Heat-not-burn" tobacco products, created as an alternative to other types of smoking, may harm the user's heart, researchers report. These tobacco...
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 14, 2020 -- The purported link between e-cigarettes and lung damage might be more complicated than first thought, a new study reports. Teen e-cigarette users are...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.