Health Tip: Prevent Lawnmower Injuries
-- Lawnmower injuries range from minor cuts and burns to broken bones and amputations, the American Society for Surgery of the Hand says.
The society suggests how to stay safer while using a mower:
- Read the mower's manual before use.
- Keep the mower in good working order with sharp blades. Make sure the mower has protection over hot and sharp parts.
- Pick up potential hazards, such as stones, toys and debris, before you mow.
- Wear goggles, hearing protection, gloves and long pants while using a mower.
- Wear sturdy close-toed shoes while mowing.
- Don't drink alcohol before or during mowing.
- Don't remove safety devices or guards from the mower.
- Never insert hands or feet into the mower to remove grass or debris.
- Never lift a mower by the bottom. The blades can cut fingers even if the mower is off.
- Never cut grass while it is wet or damp.
- Never allow children under age 12 to operate a push mower or those under 16 to drive a riding mower.
- Keep children off the lawn while mowing, and never have a passenger on a riding mower.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: September 2018
Read this next
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 21, 2020 -- Proper skin care is crucial for cancer patients receiving radiation therapy, the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) says. Itchiness, redness,...
FRIDAY, July 3, 2020 -- West Virginia loosened fireworks sales rules in 2016. And since then, the state has seen a 40% boom in fireworks-related injuries, researchers say. The...
THURSDAY, July 2, 2020 -- With communities across the United States canceling Fourth of July celebrations due to the COVID-19 pandemic, backyard fireworks are likely to be more...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.