Health Tip: Prevent Injury From Raking Leaves
- Any time you rake leaves, don't forget that you're sneaking in some exercise. Just as you'd prepare for a trip to the gym, you need to ward off possible injury by taking precautions before you rake.
Here are some suggestions, courtesy of AARP:
- Dress warmly but in layers. You can peel off a jacket or sweatshirt as you start to get warm.
- To prevent muscle injury, do a light warm-up before you pick up the rake. Try taking a quick walk, bending and moving your limbs, or do some light stretches.
- Don't twist your back when you rake. Maintain good posture, and move your whole body rather than twisting to one side.
- Alternate which side of your body you're raking on to prevent an overuse injury.
- Drink plenty of water, and take breaks about every 10 minutes, especially if you don't normally get much exercise.
Posted: October 2007
Recommended for you