Health Tip: Prevent Infection After Circumcision
-- Newborn boys who have just been circumcised need care to prevent infection and keep them comfortable.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions for preventive care after a circumcision:
- Clean the area thoroughly and gently each time you change your baby's diaper.
- If a bandage was used to protect the area, change the bandage during every diaper change.
- If a Plastibell device was used, call your doctor if it doesn't fall off after 10 to 12 days.
- Apply petroleum jelly to prevent irritation and infection.
- A small amount of blood in the baby's diaper is normal, but contact your doctor without delay if the stain is larger than the size of a quarter.
- Call your doctor if you spot any symptoms of infection, including fever, significant redness or swelling, or a yellow discharge.
Posted: June 2008