Health Tip: Prevent Heel Pain
-- The heel is the largest of 26 bones in the human foot, the American Podiatric Medical Association says.
Heel pain is typically caused by heel spurs, plantar fasciitis or achilles tendinitis.
The association offers these suggestions to avoid heel pain:
- Wear shoes that fit well front, back and sides; have shock-absorbent soles, rigid shanks and supportive heel counters.
- Wear the proper shoes for each activity.
- Do not wear shoes with excessive wear on heels or soles.
- Before exercising, warm up and stretch.
- Pace yourself when you participate in athletics.
- Lose extra weight.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: February 2019
Read this next
THURSDAY, June 25, 2020 -- Two new studies strongly suggest that the so-called "COVID toe" lesions that have popped up among some Americans during the pandemic may not be caused...
SATURDAY, Sept. 14, 2019 -- Don't let foot problems hobble your autumn activities, a foot surgeon says. "Foot health contributes to your overall health. From beginners to...
THURSDAY, Aug. 8, 2019 -- If you've made a financial commitment to athletic shoes, no doubt you want your money's worth. But it's important to replace them when you see specific...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.