Skip to Content

Health Tip: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

- To prevent poisoning from carbon monoxide -- a colorless, odorless gas -- it's important to take precautions at home.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency offers these safety recommendations:

  • Have your appliances that burn fuel checked once a year, including your chimney and furnace flues.
  • Don't try to heat your home with a gas-burning oven.
  • Never use a grill or barbecue inside the home, in a garage, or in any enclosed space.
  • Don't use an unvented kerosene or gas heater inside the home, particularly while you sleep.
  • Don't allow a lawn mower or car to run inside a garage.
  • Use a carbon monoxide alarm in your home, particularly in areas where you sleep.
© 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Posted: January 2008